Friday, July 10, 2009

What's With all the Tape?


You may have been wondering why many of the coaches and clients at CrossFit Central have strange black tape all over them, here is your answer: Airrosti. 

If you are in my class (Cheray) or live with me (Tommy), you've been hearing about my injured shoulder for over 2 months now. I've actually never hurt myself before, so I kept thinking my injury would just heal itself. But it just kept hanging on. And on. And on. And on. I also noticed I seemed to be getting weaker and not being able to lift as much. After doing a little research on the Airrosti website, I decided to take the plunge.

My fabulous Dr. Johnson did a thorough assessment and determined I had deltoid and bicep tendonitis. It was shocking how weak my injured muscles were. He then had me lay down on the table and jammed his finger along the injured area. Over. And. Over. And. Over. Did it hurt? Um, yeah. But in that good hurt way....kind of...

The way he explained it is like this:

If your muscle is injured it will eventually heal itself. But often it is the soft tissue, or Fascia, surrounding the muscle that is injured. Fascia doesn't have a blood supply so it can't heal itself.  It develops scar tissue-type stuff on the injured area which won't go away. It needs to be worked out- like flattening out a ball of foil. 

And boy, did he ever work it out!

Here's the amazing part:
After it was all said and done, I had noticeably more range of motion and less pain. AND, the next day as I was doing my WOD in the garage, I did a full warmup's worth of pushups WITH NO PAIN. I have been doing painful pushups for over two months now!

Every day has seen more improvement and less pain. I feel confident that after 3 sessions I will be completely healed. 

So, to make a long story even longer, if you have chronic pain or an injury that just won't heal, go get some Airrosti. Now. Your body will thank you.

Oh, and the tape actually supports the injured area and helps alleviate swelling and helps the lymph. My daughter thinks it's my new tattoo...go figure!


No comments:

Post a Comment