Sunday, May 10, 2009

Thoughts on Motherhood

Today was a great day. I enjoyed being pampered and celebrated and all that.  But since I've been a Mom (4 years now), Mother's Day has meant something a little bit different to me.  It has, oddly enough, been more about them- Them meaning my kids.  Mother's Day has me thinking about what it means to be me... how I appear to my kids... how I want to appear to them.

When I was pregnant with Lily, I was really nervous about how my life was going to change.  Would I be a good mom?  What if she and I don't really hit it off? How can I raise a confident, smart, compassionate, self-aware human being?

When the Doctor placed Lily on my chest for the first time I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest. It felt as though this trap door opened up that I never knew existed.  I had no idea I could love someone so much.  Yeah, I guess we hit it off...

As the overly- used- but- true saying goes:  Be the change you wish to see in the world.  
I have learned that, in order to raise my children to be all of those things, I must be those things:  confident, smart, compassionate, self-aware, kind, honest, hard-working, brave, sensitive, loving, giving, and on and on. I work on this every day.  Some days I don't do so well but like I tell my daughter "Tomorrow is a new day".   We need to remember that in every single thing we do: Tomorrow is a new day. 

I have posted a video of one of my faves, John Butler Trio, singing a song about his newborn daughter.  I have listened to this song a million times and it gets me every single time... I hope you enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment