Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Accomplishments Big and Small


I love lists.  Goals, to-do lists, shopping lists, ideas, you name it. I especially love checking things off of my lists.

Back in December I attended a goal setting workshop with Carrie Contey .  I was ready. I had my brand new notebook and favorite gel pen.  The first thing she asked us to do was to spend 5 minutes writing down all of our accomplishments from the past year.  Accomplishments??!!

Now I have to admit that I have the memory of a goldfish so I could barely remember what I accomplished that very day.  I sat there staring blankly at my notebook, desperately trying to remember things I had done while simultaneously thinking "did I even do anything?!"  I vowed then and there that in 2009 I would write down 3 accomplishments at the end of each month.

Not only is my memory terrible, but I am a huge procrastinator.

At the end of April I finally wrote down my 3 accomplishments:

  1. Sat in a steam room for 7 minutes.
  2. Started and finished a book.
  3. Gave up dairy and gluten (mostly)
There are a few things about that list.  First of all, my accomplishments weren't life-changing (except #3).  And what may seem trivial or small to some is a huge deal to others.  Sitting in a steam room was a big deal for me because usually I feel so overwhelmed and claustrophobic I have to run out.  Not this time! 

Back in December I realized how important it is to look back and evaluate- not only what you've done/accomplished, but what is working for you.  I was so busy looking ahead and planning my lists I hadn't taken the time to appreciate what was working and all of the things I had accomplished.  Writing them down on paper solidifies it even more.

So..... as we near the end of the month, begin to look back and evaluate the month of May.  Start to compile your list.  You may find that you start looking at the coming months in a whole new way.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this idea! I always made lists, even lists of things I'm thankful for, but I haven't ever made lists of things I've accomplished before. Why do we always forget to congratulate ourselves when we do something great? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete