Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Recipe Extravaganza!




Let the cooking begin...

Nichole sent me a bunch of great recipes that I have yet to try. One that caught my eye was for Paleo Muffins, but the recipe called for Arrowroot Powder which I didn't have laying around in my cabinet, so I found this suuuuper yummy recipe from my friend Steve over at Paleo-Zone. Even my extremely picky 4 year old thought they were good...

Disclaimer: I am not hardcore strict when it comes to little things, so by all means, doctor it up to suit you.

Muffin Recipe #1
1/2c Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1-2 tbsp ground almonds
1 egg
1/4c chopped walnuts
1 tsp Walnut Oil (I used olive oil)
1 heaping spoonful Almond Butter
Big squeeze of honey (or whatever you choose to use)
Splash of vanilla
2 medium bananas, mashed
Sprinkle of Baking Powder (I have been using this in my pancake recipes and tried it for this one, too. It makes it more fluffy and not too dense. I have no idea what kind of Paleo indications it has. The original recipe does not call for this)

Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. Serve with big side of protein. Tastes just like banana bread!

Muffin Recipe #2

  • 2 c. almond flour (it can be expensive. I make my own with the food processor and bulk almonds...pulse until it's a cornmeal-like consistency)
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 c. Arrowroot Powder (you can also buy from bulk section)
  • 1 Banana (instead of using grapeseed oil)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 medium apples, diced (I shredded in food processor)
If the mixture is a little dry (mine was) drizzle some grapeseed oil to moisten. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

To make Almond Meal/Flour, just buy some sliced almonds (Costco) and pulverize them in the food processor along with the coconut flakes.

Here is what you can serve with your muffins:

Machaca Scramble

Brown 1/2lb. grass-fed beef.
Add 1-3 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
Dash of Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Cocoa Pwdr
Mix over high heat, browning meat and mixing spices
Scramble 6 eggs and add to meat
Stir to prevent sticking, cook thoroughly.

Sounds like a good Sunday morning breakfast to me!


Make sure to visit EatCleanLiveStrong for more great recipe ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment