Friday, June 4, 2010

Ghee-licious!


Ghee is my newest find. I love it. Probably because I love butter. Who doesn't?!

But what exactly is Ghee?

It is clarified butter- meaning butter without the milk solids- making it, well, dairy-free butter! Ghee is a sanskrit word meaning "sprinkled" and is used in many Hindu rituals.

The taste? I think it has a more concentrated buttery flavor. Yummmm.... I have used it to cook my eggs and veggies this week and it has been a nice flavor change.

Want to make your own? Here's how (make sure to get a good quality pastured butter):


Melt butter in a sauce pan over low heat. Remove butter from heat and let stand for a few minutes, allowing the milk solids to settle to the bottom. Skim the clear yellow liquid from the top and strain into a container. You have just made Ghee! Ghee stores well frozen.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and if you've used ghee. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment