Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why Crossfit Women?


This is a question I've heard a few times over the months. "Why take a women's only class? What's the difference?" and "Is it easier?"

I wanted to address this from my own opinion as well as from snippets of conversation had over the past year.

I think a Women's Only class has a lot to do with personal preference and what you're looking for. People pass by Crossfit Central all the time and think, "What the hell are those people doing? The sun's not even up!" (Direct quote from my husband's boss). Even though we all know better, it looks slightly intimidating. For me, joining a Women's class was way less scary.

Now, don't get me wrong- Carey and Jen can be the scariest ladies on the planet at 5:45 am if you aren't working as hard as they think you should! Women's Only classes are definitely NOT easier. The environment in a Women's class is very supportive- especially when the other ladies in the class are yelling at you to push yourself then cheering you on as you finally get your chin over the bar for your first kipping pull-up. Maybe we are all collectively cheering because we were always told that girls don't do pull-ups- Nonetheless, it is refreshing to be in an environment that is non-catty, non-gossipy, and no B.S. that sometimes comes with groups of females.

I really look forward to seeing the ladies in my class each morning. We know each other's strengths and weaknesses, and I know I'll hear about it if I don't show up! But besides all that, I know that we are all going through this together. We're trying to make our way through this thing- Paleo challenges, sugar detox, falling off the wagon and getting back on again, PRs, Birthday Burpees, husbands, kids, boyfriends, girlfriends... It's a New Normal (sorry. had to use it again)

So if you are looking for something new or to change it up a bit, consider a Women's Only class.

Next up...I am Crossfit!

2 comments:

  1. This is so dead on. I go to an all women bootcamp/xfit style class every morning and have been to the same one that wasn't and there is a difference. The women only classes are really about supporting, not necessarily competitive, and we have all become friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! It really is a different kind of environment. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete