This is the question my husband asked me as I was pouring tons of it into the bath last week. I just said, "I don't know. It's just what your supposed to do to ease muscle soreness." Then I felt dumb and decided to research exactly why Epsom Salts relieve muscle soreness. The following is taken from the Epsom Salt council.
Studies show that magnesium is:
- An electrolyte, helping to ensure proper muscle, nerve and enzyme function.
- Critical to the proper use of calcium in cells.
- An aid in helping to prevent heart disease and strokes by lowering blood pressure, protecting the elasticity of arteries, preventing blood clots and reducing the risk of sudden heart attack deaths.
Medical research also indicates that magnesium may:
- Increase the effectiveness of insulin, helping to lower the risk or severity of diabetes.
- Reduce inflammation and relieves pain, making it a beneficial in the treatment of sore muscles, bronchial asthma, migraine headaches and fibromyalgia.
Although magnesium can be absorbed through the digestive tract, many foods, drugs and medical conditions can interfere with the effectiveness of this deliver method. Therefore, soaking in an Epsom Salt bath is one of the most effective means of making the magnesium your body needs readily available.
Epsom Salt also delivers sulfates, which medical research indicates are needed for the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the mucin proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. Studies show that sulfates also stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and help to detoxify the body's residue of medicines and environmental contaminants. Studies indicate that sulfates are difficult to absorb from food, but are readily absorbed through the skin.
- Raising the body's level of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Offsetting excess levels of adrenaline generated by pressure and stress; magnesium ions relax and reduce irritability by lowering the affects of adrenaline.
- Helping to regulate the electrical functions that spark through miles of nerves.
- Lowering blood pressure.
Researchers have found that magnesium also increases energy and stamina by encouraging the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy packets made in the cells. Experts recommend soaking with Epsom Salt at least three times a week to look better, feel better and have more energy