Monday, December 13, 2010

December Athlete of the Month!

We have so many amazing women in our community, and I want to start highlighting them as much as possible. Everyone has a story to tell. Some have lost tons of weight, some have gained tons of confidence.

This month, our December Athlete of the Month is Christina Harris!!
Christina is in Coach Crystal McReynolds' class and just happens to be 9 months pregnant! This is what Crystal had to say about why she nominated Christina:
What a beautiful family!

"Christina has been regularly coming 2 times per week and just a few weeks ago got her first HSPU.....badass!!!! Her husband works out at the same time as her and wears a weight vest for her pregnancy, really cool! She also always has a great positive attitude and says No to nothing.. she is a pleasure to coach!"

Christina Harris

6:45pm Women's Only Class 

How has your pregnancy been?  It’s been great!  I can honestly say that even though it’s flown by, I’ve really enjoyed the whole experience.

How do feel Crossfit has helped you through your pregnancy?  I really think Crossfit has been my saving grace throughout my pregnancy.  The training has helped me stay strong and comfortable these past 9 months.  I haven’t gained a ridiculous amount of weight, nor have I suffered from many of the common discomforts that are very common during this time—such as backaches and knee and joint pain, and I attribute it continuing to train at Crossfit Central.

What modifications do you make in the workouts?  I usually try to do the WODs as close to prescribed as possible.  Though, I have cut back on some of the weight and just listen to my body if something feels uncomfortable. In my 9th month, I have cut back on most of the running—mostly because it makes me have to run straight to the restroom everytime!

How did you find out about Crossfit/Crossfit Central?

I live in the area and had passed by the gym a few times.  I had even looked it up online and read about all the success stories. It wasn’t until my husband and some of his co-workers decided to check out Crossfit that I took a good look myself.

Favorite WOD/Lift:
Fran/It’s a tie between Hang Clean and Overhead Press

Favorite Paleo Meal:
Portabella Mushroom Pizza

Favorite Cheat Meal:
That’s a tough one, but throughout my pregnancy it’s been cheeseburgers and pizza

I have always wanted to...
be a strong woman, who can be proud of the life she leads.

Outside the Gym I like to...
travel, read, spend time with my husband, family and friends

How has Crossfit impacted your life/what changes have you seen in yourself since starting?

Crossfit has me feeling better in my 30’s both physically and emotionally than I felt in a majority of my 20’s.  I’m more active, I feel more capable, I feel less stressed and for a change actually feel beautiful.

In 10 years, I...
hope to be Crossfitting with my family.
Advice for Newbies:
Don’t be intimidated by others who have been there longer.  They were just like you when they started.  And you will get there if you keep pushing.




Congrats Christina! We can't wait to meet your little Crossfitter very soon!

Want to nominate someone for Athlete of the Month? Contact me at KatGrosshaupt@me.com

4 comments:

  1. YAY Christina!!! You ROCK Little Moma and are such an inspiration to all of your fellow Crossfit Ladies. Congrats on the arrival of your Little Man! Can't wait to meet him. Love Ya! Pamela B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Harris family! Can't wait to meet Xavier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina is the most encouraging person I have ever met! During the class WOD's she will give you an encouraging shout-out and I have to say this has helped keep me going. I can't wait till she is back in class, Thursday 6:45pm class will not be the same for awhile. I also can not wait to meet the new member of her family!! Love Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Christina and hubby! What a lucky little kiddo!!!

    ReplyDelete